Sunday, June 14, 2009

Matanuska Glacier







This is a perfect example of right place,wrong equipment,crummy weather,and a dozen reasons for leaving your camera in the trunk. These will never appear in a magazine,or be the NAPP photo of the week. They could have been taken with the simplest digital camera or my old rebel XT. 4 generations out of style. If I drive 3 hours and 3 miles down a dirt trail,you can bet there will be photographs. The 2 closeups were aquired by an hour hike over glacial plain with sliding rocks,mud pits that covered your ankle boots, and wading through the coldest water on the planet. Because of the cold, I didn't feel the need to hydrate, and I realised that was a mistake when i woke up to a spinning room with 2 of everything and some really thrilling leg cramps. It you slug through muck to get close to one of nature's wonders;it is reasonable to assume 50 of your friends didn't. These pictures become worth sharing. No one in their right mind would call this competitive photography.It is reasonably pleasing to the eye, and best of all it does what compelling photographs do. It tells a story. It shows what the great monster flowing through the mountain looks like. It shows, not only does this beast, from the frozen vaults of hell, slowly grind the mountain down, with a sensually compelling blue ice. It takes the rich soil and brings life into the glacial plain. All I wanted to do was take my strained ankle and bruised hamstring 3 hours home to a warm bath and a clean bed. Always take your camera with you. Eddie Tapp, a photographer i admire, took an absolutely gorgeous picture in Vegas of the Sunrise. Was it taken on some great desert plain with cactus in the foreground? It was shot from an upper story hotel hallway,with all the wrong elements in the picture, walls and window frames in the picture. What it did show was the brillant color of sunrise against the eternal neon of Vegas streets. it told a great story. It doesn't have to be staged or taken at a particular time to be a heart warming experience. I hope you enjoyed my story without words. If you run across this and want to post please do. I would love to see your photograph and hear its story. Remember my friends are artist,my sister is the writer, and God gave me Elaine.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blind Puffin.

This little fellow was rescued at Seward, Alaska, in The Alaska Aquatic Center. What I thought was a beautiful red eyed bird was actually a very wonderful blinded Puffin. Instead of being seal bait; he lives a very calm life in the Aquatic Center. This picture speaks wonders of the need to value life. I am no bleeding heart, but I do fight the great demon cancer on a daily basis. I think this Puffin represents the least of these, very well. He is a great symbol for the beauty of compassion

Followers

About Me

My photo
Sugar Land, Texas, United States
Traveling Radiation Therapist who happens to love Photography and is on a budget,a very low budget